So the lady who sits across from me at work was telling me about this little research project her daughter’s school is running. They’re making them do all kinds of tests to see whether left handed girls are brighter than right handed girls… I was like: “What? That’s so stupid, I can already answer that… damn straight they are!” (You see, I’m a left handed person, otherwise known as a “lefty” myself. So of course I should know. )
Then she forwarded on all this info that was circulated to the kids and their parents which contains all these random findings around left handed people. Some (OK most) are quite funny… so I just had to share. Here we go:
Scientific left handed facts:
(Well they seemed to have taken this from the following site: http://leftyfretz.com/25-facts-about-left-handed-people/ – so not sure how legit or “scientific” it really is….)
- Make up between 5% and 10% of the population (depending on who you ask)
- So what they’re saying here is that I’m special!
- More likely to have allergies
- OK that one’s true for me…
- More prone to migraines
- And this one…
- More likely to be insomniacs
- And I do have issues with sleeping quite regularly… but this still proves nothing…
- Use the right side of the brain the most
- Ja ja ja…
- Three times more likely to become alcoholics – the right side of the brain has a lower tolerance to alcohol!
- Haha, this one is classic. I might as well drink away then!
- More likely to be on extreme poles of the intelligence scale
- I don’t like to brag, but I am like totally a genius you know.
- Tend to reach puberty 4 to 5 months later than right handers
- I was a “late bloomer” for sure.
- More likely to suffer stuttering and dyslexia
- Sjoe, luckily I skipped out on those two.
- Twice as likely to be a man
- This is actually quite funny. In my family, my dad is left handed as well as one of my brothers.
- Better at 3D perception and thinking
- K, I’ll look into that.
- Better at multi-tasking
- Oh yeah baby, I rock out tasks like it’s nobody’s business!
- Live on average 9 years less than right handed people
- Bummer. But hey, at least I’ll be slightly hotter when I die, right?
- 39% more likely to be homosexual
- Hmmmmmmm… I’ll have to break this to the BF, then again he might like the idea. hehe.
Then there’s another article (from the same site: http://leftyfretz.com/why-are-people-left-handed/) about all these theories around why people are left handed… it’s quite bizarre and clearly not scientifically proven in any way. But a good laugh nonetheless.
They go on about everything from a lack of the so called “right handed gene” to prenatal trauma and this creepy “vanishing twin” theory which suggests that left handed people were actually part of identical twin foetuses, but then the right handed foetus failed to develop early on and was reabsorbed by the mother’s body. Geeze, I hope that’s not the case… that is just plain crazy.
Anyhoo, after reading all this stuff I feel chuffed at my awesomeness, yet very stressed out about my early death and various health issues and definitely in need of a BIG glass of wine.