This Saturday it is time to put on your best threads and get ready for a big night out with this year’s 5 for change event:
5 for Change is an annual black tie fundraiser aimed at raising awareness for five inspiring local social enterprises which are making a big impact on people’s lives where it really counts. This year they are showing support for:
- Waves for Change: They use surfing as a tool to create an alternative learning environment for children and young adults who are identified by their schools and communities as ‘at-risk’
- Ilizwi Photography Club: A youth development initiative that works with young people in under-resourced communities by encouraging creative self expression through photography and multimedia.
- Iyeza Express: An affordable delivery service for prescription medication to residents of Khayelitsha.
- See-Saw-Do: They focus on the physical transformation of the spaces in which children develop, as well as on the production and distribution of mother-tongue reading material to these facilities.
- Trashback: An incentivised recycling project where participants bring in recyclable materials and are rewarded with vouchers for their efforts, which can then be exchanged at local community stores.
To find out more about these amazing initiatives, read on over here.
People who attended last year’s bash raved about it, so I’m really excited to be checking it out this year. They’ve lined up Goldfish and The Rudimentals to keep you movin’ and shakin’ as well as some great giveaways and prizes as little special surprises on the night.
How do you get in on the action?
- Just hop on over to Quicket over here to secure your ticket.
- Tickets cost R300 pp (which includes welcome drinks and canapés)
- When: Sat 18 May – 7pm till late.
- Where: Cape Town City Hall
- Dress code: Black tie… well in fact, I’ve heard that this year they are planning a Great Gatsby theme. So if you add a bit of Gatsby swag to your look, you might even be in the running for a best dressed prize… Here’s some inspiration from the upcoming film remake to get those creative juices flowing:
Hope to see you guys there. Remember, it’s all for a good cause and your support will certainly make a big difference to the folks involved with the initiatives mentioned above.
To further entice you, check out some pics and a video from last year’s event over here.